How to make highlighted text accessible?

From: Lars Holm Sørensen <post@diversa.dk>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 13:27:31 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Can you suggest a good solution for the following case?

I have a website, where the user goes through a 3 step workflow.
The 3 steps are listed on top of the page, where the currently active step is highlighted with a CSS-colored background to tell the user which step she is performing right now.

The 3 steps are just clean text, - no buttons or tabs, - not used for navigation.. They are just there to indicate where in the workflow we are.

In the given situation there is no information for the screenreader user about where in the workflow she is right now.
It might also be a problem if the page us used with customized styles.

What would be the best way to let all users know about the current active step?
Does aria provide any solution for this?

Everything best:
Lars Holm Sørensen