W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ig@w3.org > July to September 2013

Re: Fwd: Website (LTK11153010254144X)

From: <accessys@smart.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 13:50:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>
cc: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org wai" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.60.1308091348150.22556@cygnus.smart.net>

hard to believe, would not buy anything from them that is for sure and 
make sure they know the reason why

email
"I just spent $xxxx dollars and XYZ shop instead of yours because their 
website was accessible

can't begin to comprehend the mindset behind this?!

Bob

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013, David Hilbert Poehlman wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:45:56 -0400
> From: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>
> To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org wai" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> Subject: Fwd: Website (LTK11153010254144X)
> Resent-Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:46:27 +0000
> Resent-From: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> 
> This is insulting.
>
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Schwan's Home Service" <liveperson@schwans.com>
> Subject: RE: Website (LTK11153010254144X)
> Date: August 9, 2013 at 12:43:58 PM EDT
> To: "David Hilbert Poehlman" <poehlman1@comcast.net>
>
>
>
> REFERENCE NUMBER: LTK11153010254144X  Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with us.
> SUBJECT: Website
>
> Dear David,
>
> Thank you for contacting us.
>
> Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Schwan’s.  I apologize for the difficulties you may have experienced while navigating our website.  At this time, our site does not support screen readers, however Schwan’s currently provides Braille catalogs in the Spring and Fall. Please email us your address information at liveperson@schwans.com or call our toll free number at 1-888-724-9267 and one of our friendly Customer Service Representatives will be happy to assist you.
>
> We appreciate your business.  Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Account Specialist Derek F
> Customer Care
> Schwan's Home Service, Inc.
> Phone: 888-724-9267
> Order today at www.schwans.com
>
> In case this email does not fully answer your question, or you would like to contact us for any reason, simply reply to this email. You can also get immediate assistance using our Chat support service at:
>
>
> http://sales.liveperson.net/hc/?cmd=file&#38;file=visitorWantsToChat&#38;site=4871802&#38;SESSIONVAR!Ticket=LTK11153010254144X
>
> ========== Original Message ==========
>
> From:    David Hilbert Poehlman &#60;poehlman1@comcast.net&#62;
> Subject: Re: LTK11153010254144X / adding to cart problem
>
>
> This is a problematic site to use with voiceover on the mac.  I can find the images and I can see that they state that the product is added to the cart after clicked but the ad to cart images are not labeled as to which product is being added and the product was added to cart image does not state its name either and needs too.
>
> I know this has always been difficult but It can be done.
>
> Some examples of sites that are shopable are Peapod.com and safeway.com.  I've not been s schwan's customer but my observations above come from many years of work in the field and a brief look at the site.
>
> A good business case for accessibility of your site is that It might just save a life and even if it is only one life that it saves, it is well worth the effort wouldn't you say?
>
> On Aug 8, 2013, at 12:54 AM, Kathy Brandt &#60;katya20707@comcast.net&#62; wrote:
>
> This is a matter I thought would be of interest to the cooking-in-the-dark E-mail list; you may therefore be getting additional feedback that would be of help, such as the below:
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Rivard" &#60;wee1sman@fidnet.com&#62;
> To: &#60;cookinginthedark@acbradio.org&#62;; "Kathy Brandt" &#60;katya20707@comcast.net&#62;
> Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2013 12:44 AM
> Subject: Re: [CnD] Hi, re adding to cart on Schwans web site
>
>
> &#62; Should you need to use a "work around"?  I think not.  All they need to do is to label all buttons with text labels for screen readers.  And it would seem obvious that there should be an "add to cart" button for each individual item regardless of whether you can or cannot see.  It wouldn't be that much work to put the same button in several places.
> &#62;
> &#62; ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kathy Brandt" &#60;katya20707@comcast.net&#62;
> &#62; To: &#60;cookinginthedark@acbradio.org&#62;
> &#62; Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 11:38 PM
> &#62; Subject: [CnD] Hi, re adding to cart on Schwans web site
> &#62;
> &#62;
> &#62;&#62;
> &#62;&#62; We need to get on them again.  They just came out and told me their site isn't designed for screen readers, not that they'd fix the problem (when it didn't used to be one).  Thought you'd like to see the exchange between us:
> &#62;&#62;
> &#62;&#62;
> &#62;&#62; Subject: Re: Website (LTK11153010254144X)
> &#62;&#62; Thanks for writing back.  I wanted to follow up after writing and talking
> &#62;&#62; with supervisor Natalie:  She had suggested clicking on a given item itself,
> &#62;&#62; under which she thought should be an add to cart link:  There wasn't.
> &#62;&#62; I did discover that if you go into your list of past purchases, under each
> &#62;&#62; item is an 'add item to cart' link:  This is what I have been asking for
> &#62;&#62; throughout the site, like what used to be the case.  Since it had been the
> &#62;&#62; case, it's a bit affronting when you say your site isn't designed for screen
> &#62;&#62; readers; it used to be, and as parts of it work, it follows that the rest of
> &#62;&#62; it can be made to as well.  When I could just go to new items, and
> &#62;&#62; previously add to cart from a link that read out 'add to cart' under each
> &#62;&#62; item, there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to again.
> &#62;&#62; In a way there's currently a work-around, in that I discovered that if you
> &#62;&#62; go to either your favorites or past purchase lists, you can add items to
> &#62;&#62; cart, but, again, the add-to-cart button doesn't exist per individual item;
> &#62;&#62; there's only a link to add all items to cart.  If I did that I'd have to
> &#62;&#62; then go into cart and remove the items I don't want.  I shouldn't have to go
> &#62;&#62; through such machinations.  Plus what's wrong in this situation is that say
> &#62;&#62; there's an item I want that's not on any of my lists, there are no add-to
> &#62;&#62; cart links under each item that appears in search results; that would have
> &#62;&#62; to be added to a list in order to get items into cart by, as I said, adding
> &#62;&#62; the whole list then removing items, since that's all that can be done
> &#62;&#62; currently.
> &#62;&#62; The braille catalogs are good to have for those who can efficiently use
> &#62;&#62; them, but if a blind person has nerve problems that preclude doing a lot of
> &#62;&#62; straight text reading, and it's easier for them to use the computer, the
> &#62;&#62; option should exist, particularly since it was doable in all respects before
> &#62;&#62; your web site was updated.  I only today placed the on-line order you see
> &#62;&#62; because my items were past purchases.  I do appreciate that I can continue
> &#62;&#62; to get reward points if I call in orders, thank you very much, but it's good
> &#62;&#62; to be able to place orders, like I used to be able to do, whenever I want.
> &#62;&#62; ----- Original Message -----
> &#62;&#62; From: "Schwan's Home Service" &#60;
> &#62;&#62; liveperson@schwans.com
> &#62;&#62;&#62;
> &#62;&#62; To: &#60;
> &#62;&#62; katya20707@comcast.net
> &#62;&#62;&#62;
> &#62;&#62; Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:54 PM
> &#62;&#62; Subject: RE: Website (LTK11153010254144X)
> &#62;&#62; REFERENCE NUMBER: LTK11153010254144X  Please use this ticket number in any
> &#62;&#62; correspondence with us.
> &#62;&#62; SUBJECT: Website
> &#62;&#62; Dear Kathy:
> &#62;&#62; Thank you for contacting us.
> &#62;&#62; Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Schwan's.  I apologize for the
> &#62;&#62; difficulties you may have experienced while navigating our website.  At this
> &#62;&#62; time, our site does not support screen readers, however Schwan's currently
> &#62;&#62; provides Braille catalogs in the Spring and Fall. Please email us your
> &#62;&#62; address information at
> &#62;&#62; liveperson@schwans.com
> &#62;&#62; or call our toll free number
> &#62;&#62; at 1-888-724-9267 and one of our friendly Customer Service Representatives
> &#62;&#62; will be happy to assist you.
> &#62;&#62; Please contact us at 1-888-724-9267 and we will assist you in placing your
> &#62;&#62; order.
> &#62;&#62; We appreciate your business.  Please feel free to contact us if you have
> &#62;&#62; any additional questions.
> &#62;&#62; Sincerely,
> &#62;&#62; Account Specialist Ardis B
> &#62;&#62; Customer Care
> &#62;&#62; Schwan's Home Service, Inc.
> &#62;&#62; Phone: 888-724-9267
> &#62;&#62; Order today at
> &#62;&#62; www.schwans.com
> &#62;&#62; In case this email does not fully answer your question, or you would like to
> &#62;&#62; contact us for any reason, simply reply to this email. You can also get
> &#62;&#62; immediate assistance using our Chat support service at:
> &#62;&#62; http://sales.liveperson.net/hc/?cmd=file&#38;#38;file=visitorWantsToChat&#38;#38;sit
> &#62;&#62; e=4871802&#38;#38;SESSIONVAR!Ticket=LTK11153010254144X
> &#62;&#62; ========== Original Message ==========
> &#62;&#62; From:     &#38;#60;katya20707@comcast.net&#38;#62;
> &#62;&#62; Subject: Website
> &#62;&#62; Subject: Website
> &#62;&#62; Name: Kathy Brandt
> &#62;&#62; Email Address:
> &#62;&#62; katya20707@comcast.net
> &#62;&#62; Address: 14306 BOWSPRIT LN
> &#62;&#62; City, State, Zip: LAUREL MD 20707
> &#62;&#62; Phone: 410 792 8153
> &#62;&#62; ----------------------------------------
> &#62;&#62; Message: I'm totally blind, using a screen reader to access your site, and
> &#62;&#62; for months it's been that I can't add items to cart because there isn't a
> &#62;&#62; link or a button that specifically reads out 'add item to cart'.  I noticed
> &#62;&#62; today under last chance summer savings that the links exist for this, but
> &#62;&#62; they still don't, say, under 'new items'.  Please fix this situation; I used
> &#62;&#62; to be able to work any aspect of your site, and should be able to again.
> &#62;&#62; Thankds.
> &#62;&#62; _______________________________________________
> &#62;&#62; Cookinginthedark mailing list
> &#62;&#62; Cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
> &#62;&#62; http://acbradio.org/mailman/listinfo/cookinginthedark
>
>
> --
> Jonnie Appleseed
> With His
> Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
> touching the internet
> Reducing Technology's disabilities
> One Byte At a time
>
>
>
>
> --
> Jonnie Appleseed
> With His
> Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
> touching the internet
> Reducing Technology's disabilities
> One Byte At a time
>
>
>
Received on Friday, 9 August 2013 17:50:55 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 9 August 2013 17:50:55 UTC