Re: HTML Validation Tools

On 17/07/2013 12:02, Homme, James wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I interpret guideline 4.1.1 as requiring clean HTML. Does anyone know of
> a validation tool that we can use that does not link out to the Internet
> to do its checking?

One option is to use validator.w3.org but, rather than pointing it to a
URL (which I gather you can't do, perhaps because your pages are not
live or behind some login/intranet), grab the page's source from within
your browser and paste it in the "direct input" text field.

> Related to this, I would think that the tool would
> need to examine the HTML after it gets rendered in the browser, because
> many pages are likely to have some of their HTML generated by scripts.

For this, you could take the same approach as above, but instead of
a dev tool (e.g. Firebug, Chrome DevTools, etc) and - once the page has
finished loading/generating assets via scripts - grab the current DOM
from within that as text and paste it into the direct input bit.

Note that, arguably, not every validation error or warning actually
results in an accessibility issue. An unescaped ampersand or an unclosed
element, for instance, never did any major harm...but things like
duplicate ID attributes can have more serious impacts (not just on a11y,
but in general...unexpected CSS or JS interaction could result).

Patrick H. Lauke