Re: Voiceover detection in JavaScript

That's quite a deficiency, since it should be fairly easy to implement the checker in Safari by querying the objects within the native iOS platform, in the same way that Windows browsers do for COM objects.

This seems like such an obvious accessibility feature.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul J. Adam
  To: Bryan Garaventa
  Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
  Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:23 PM
  Subject: Re: Voiceover detection in JavaScript

  That's only possible in native iOS apps from my understanding.

  Paul J. Adam
  Accessibility Evangelist
  www.deque.com

  On Mar 28, 2013, at 5:10 PM, "Bryan Garaventa" <bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com> wrote:

    I've recommended this for use in iOS apps before, but am trying to see if this is also doable using JavaScript in Safari.

    Weirdly enough I can't find this documented anywhere by anyone on the web, but this is an important feature for UI morphing within mobile web apps to address accessibility.

    Specifically, the following won't work in Safari:

    alert( UIAccessibilityIsVoiceOverRunning() );

    Which appears to break the running of JavaScript on the page.

    So, how is it possible to detect Voiceover within Safari using JavaScript?
    Thanks,
    Bryan