Re: Rethinking the necessities of ARIA landmark role "main" and HTML5 <main> element

Hi Chaals,

thanks for the detailed reply to Ian, the apparent terseness of my own
reply was based on the knowledge of Ian's (Yang) being involved in much of
the discussion[1] that occurred on the WHATWG list on the subject, and in
fact being the person who triggered my renewed interest in the development
of the feature.

>My conclusions are that differences in the WHAT-WG version are silly, but
the element as specified in the HTML specification and as commonly
>implemented is actually very useful.

It should be noted that the differences (with the W3C definition) in how
main has been defined in the whatwg spec have not been ignored. I have
sought to understand what the reasoning for those differences is [2] and
also asked Ian (Hixie) directly on IRC, but have not as yet received any
response.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/Search/Mail/Public/search?type-index=public-whatwg-archive&index-type=t&keywords=maincontent&search=Search
[2]