RE: PDF/UA footer artifact discussion

From: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:01:22 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
[Duff wrote] My point is that PDF/UA.

a)  Requires correct use of artifacts
b)  Requires conforming readers and AT to be able to deliver such to the
user

Yes, correct use of artifacts would absolutely be required.  It is my
experience that pagination artifacts must be labeled as such so they can
be displayed when the document is reflowed.  Incorrect artifact
identification could remove headers/footers from reflowed documents.

I would certainly agree any running headers and footer that repeat a title
already exposed in the logical structure (e.g. on the first page or in the
document title) can safely be made artifacts.  In cases where they contain
a title that is not already in the logical tree, I generally recommend the
first occurrence be placed in the logical structure tags tree and all
others be made artifacts.

Jonathan