Re: Creating an accessible Table of Contents

The curb example is an interesting analogy, Bob, and indicative of a
larger issue, that has been hinted at here.
In my home town, virtually every sidewalk in town has cutouts, but the new
motorized scooters many elderly folks (and others) are using nowadays have
such a low clearance on their wheel base that they were either bottoming
out on the slope or were stopped by the curb lip, or both. Now, I would
argue that at some point decisions to adopt technology that don't support
certain standards  become a buyer's own problem and responsibility.
There are obviously parallels to what happens if someone with an older or
decidedly non-mainstream OS expects to be able to have full access to what
they want on the web. At some point, most people would say that a
technology becomes so obscure or dated that expecting current practices to
accommodate it is unreasonable. I'm not suggesting this is the case with
PDF docs on a Mac OS. But I am suggesting that universal access likely
means something different to everyone, and few of us would say it is a
synonym for "limitless access."

As a postscript, the city is now spending a lot of money grinding down the
curb lips and cut-out angles to allow these scooters to work. Is it best
use of funds? I don't know, but there are certainly other services and
barriers to PwD that aren't being addressed at the same time.

Michael Gower