Re: Creating an accessible Table of Contents

Hi Bob,

you fail to mention who your government is, but I don't think it is viable in the long run to require that something that is guaranteed to be accessible on all operating systems. That would go back to DOS which some people are still using, would include not only Mac OS and  iOS, but also all the Linux flavors, Sun Solaris OS, Symbian, the 'old' and the 'new' Blackberrry OS, Android, Chrome OS, the upcoming Firefox OS ...

I think the right thing to ask for, and to require if legal regulations come into play, is that the way content is provided complies with certain interface rules, for example those defined by WCAG or (for PDF) by the PDF/UA standard. It is then up to every user to get hold of computers, operating systems, programs and, if necessary, assistive technology that comply with these same interface rules from other side of the fence.

Everything else is not sustainable.

Olaf

PS: When was the last time your government purchased something other than Windows and Windows based programs/assistive technology?