What's the true value of accessibility accreditation badges?

From: Dr Jonathan Hassell <jonathanhassell@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:30:42 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
From WCAG 2.0 AA and Section 508 VPATs to RNIB/AbilityNet Surf Right, DAC and Shaw Trust accreditation, there are a lot of accessibility conformance badges out there.

And a free scheme to accelerate accessibility of websites has just been introduced by the Hong Kong government, using yet another new set of metrics.

So I thought it was about time to have a better think about what the true value of accessibility badges is, both to the organisations that buy them, and to the disabled people who use their sites.

I've written a blog about it:  5 things you should know before buying accessibility audit and accreditation services.

I'd love for you guys to read it, and let me know what you think.

Best regards

Jonathan

--

Prof Jonathan Hassell