What's the true value of accessibility accreditation badges?

From: Dr Jonathan Hassell <jonathanhassell@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:30:42 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
From WCAG 2.0 AA and Section 508 VPATs to RNIB/AbilityNet Surf Right, DAC and Shaw Trust accreditation, there are a lot of accessibility conformance badges out there.

And a free scheme to accelerate accessibility of websites has just been introduced by the Hong Kong government, using yet another new set of metrics.

So I thought it was about time to have a better think about what the true value of accessibility badges is, both to the organisations that buy them, and to the disabled people who use their sites.

I've written a blog about it:  5 things you should know before buying accessibility audit and accreditation services.

I'd love for you guys to read it, and let me know what you think.

Best regards

Prof Jonathan Hassell
Director, Hassell Inclusion

Blog: http://hassellinclusion.com