Re: [WebAIM] The future of WCAG - maximising its strengths not its weaknesses

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@ncbi.ie>wrote:

> Dr Jonathan Hassell wrote:
> > Thanks for this, Joshue.
> >
> > Good to see something's happening - I felt sure it must be.
> >
> > Is there a way that people outside the drafting committee can see the
> work you're doing?
>
> Unfortunately, right now no. This isn't for any conspiratorial reason I
> can assure you, its just that with any new techniques, to effectively
> provide guidance on using HTML5 and ARIA, they need to be pretty bullet
> proof before anything is released. If we did this prematurely, then
> something may get incorrectly codified as best practice or indeed be
> seen to have be given some kind of imprimatur from the W3C, when it's
> actually a work in progress. So this work is currently ongoing and has
> been for over a year, by members of both Protocols and Formats (PFWG)
> and the WCAG group itself.

Note that the WCAG group publishes a draft for public review before
incorporating changes or new techniques, so you will have an opportunity to
review and provide feedback  before the Understanding and Techniques
documents are updated.