From: Ian Yang
Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:20 AM
To: Userite
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Is it a good practice to put s inside
s?

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Userite <richard@userite.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My understanding of the purpose of the list element is to collect together
> group or related items (such as phrases, prices, book titles etc.) that
> makes sense within the group context (list) but would not necessarily do
> so
> alone without additional explanatory text (i.e. include within a
> sentence/article). When my screen-reader announces a list I expect to hear
> series of short punchy statements, or even just single words, each
> preceded
> by the announcement of a list item (preferably numbered).  If I heard
> "region" or (in the future) "article"  it would make me think I have
> missed
> the end of the list. I have not experienced it first hand - but I can
> imagine the confusion!
>
> An article is a stand-alone object, a list item is always part of a
> sequence.  An article has some sense even when read out of context (see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/article.html ). Groups of articles can be
> grouped together using the appropriate heading element.  There is
> therefore
> no reason to group articles using the list element (more appropriate
> methods
> exist). It is certainly not logical and I am sure it is not semantically
> correct.
>
> Richard

Hi Richard,

On a search result page, each result can contain a title, a photo,
time, rating, additional links, ... etc, so <article> seems to be the
appropriate wrapper for each result. And the search result can be
sorted by time, relevance, rating, ... etc, so it surely is an ordered
list. In such a situation, can we say it is okay to use <article> in
<ol>?

Kind Regards,
Ian Yang

Richard Warren