Re: Current suggestion for subheading isn't accessible

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Steve Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ian,
>
> there is no method to indicate a subheading/subtitle semantic via
> accessibility APIs. There is no subheading/subtitle role.
> The first example uses a  colon as a delimiter which is a common pattern for
> indicating title/subtitle [1]
>
> the second example is of a title of an album again it uses a delimeter - the
> first part of the title is the artists name the second part is the album
> name

Hi Steve,

There still need to be an HTML element for subheading/subtitle,
otherwise screen readers will never have a chance to know the
subheading/subtitle.

And using colon in HTML as the divider between heading and subheading
is not a bulletproof method. When I inspect the HTML code, I may still
regard the line as a single heading.

> <h1>Ramones -
> </h1>
>
> in the second example the album name is also on a new line (which is
> conveyed to screen reader users)

Could you please explain that? Do you mean screen reader users get
notified of line breaks in HTML code?

> what would you suggest needs to be added to convey the extra semantics you
> say are missing?
>

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtitle_%28titling%29
>
> --
>
> Regards
>
> SteveF
> HTML 5.1

In order to convey the semantics of subheading/subtitles, we need a
HTML element to do that.

Sincerely,
Ian Yang