Re: Remove "placeholder" attribute from HTML and turn it into a CSS feature

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM, Jonathan Avila
<jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote:
> When something is moved from HTML to CSS you are saying that is not
> necessary to understanding the page and it could be removed and the
> content would keep its meaning.  You then indicate people can use
> off-screen labels.  I'm concerned that people with disabilities that do
> not use assistive technology (AT) will run into issues.

>From time to time, I see website designs which use off-screen labels
and placeholders. What's wrong with that?

How do disabled people browse the internet if they don't use AT?

> Examples of Success Criterion 3.3.2
> A field for entering a date contains initial text which indicates the
> correct format for the date.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/minimize-error-cues.html

Now that's a valuable point. In that context I'm willing to think
placeholder is helpful.

Kind Regards,
Ian Yang