Re: Voiceover detection in JavaScript

I understand what you mean, but this is not what I'm referring to.

I'm referring to the setting of aria-hidden="true" on an element within a button, specifically a Span tag that displays a unicode symbol that has no value for screen reader users, since a textual name for the button is already provided.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jonathan Avila
  To: Bryan Garaventa ; Alastair Campbell
  Cc: WAI Interest Group
  Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2013 4:12 PM
  Subject: RE: Voiceover detection in JavaScript

  Ø  on iOS isn't paying attention to aria-hidden="true when included in a button element

  I would be concerned that aria-hidden is set on a button that is visible on-screen.  I believe the intention of aria-hidden was to coincide with visibility:hidden and display:none although it can be used without coupling them with these CSS properties.    I’ve seen some need for aria-hidden when people have faded prior and next pages on the screen with the main content in the center.  However, for actionable controls it could be problematic as you could end up on the control by swiping perhaps like you would with tab but then aria-hidden would be there causing dead space.

  Jonathan