Re: Keyboard controls for landmarks

>And, if so, does any browser already do it...and more importantly, is that
exposed via JavaScript in any way?

to varying degrees[1]

they don't expose the aria role as an attribute in the DOM, its not how it
works.

ARIA stuff for the most part maps onto existing roles/states/properties
defined in accessibility APIs [2] [3], where there is an ARIA feature that
does not have a native equivalent different mechanisms are used depending
on the API

for example:
<aside>
 mapped in firefox as an Iaccessible2 xml-role:complementary object
attribute

in Safari they defined a subrole for complementary that is mapped to aside
its exposed in Mac API as
 AXRole: "AXGroup",
AXSubrole: "AXLandmarkComplementary",
AXRoleDescription: "complementary"