Re: Voiceover detection in JavaScript

Bryan,
I believe you may be raising three use cases that should really be
investigated to determine if the deficiency in "accessibility as
experienced by the end user" is best solved by improving the assistive
technology as opposed to hacking the web/app code with undesirable browser
or AT detection.

1. Scrollable Divs
2. Carousels
3. Auto Playing videos

In other words, for each of the three use cases (scenarios or widgets) why
does a desktop browser with a screen reader "work" but not VoiceOver?
Should VoiceOver behave differently?   How so?

I'm not advocating for the Assistive Technology (AT) to try to compensate
for poor accessibility compliance from the web page/app, or poor support
from the browser, but there is often a lot of support from the AT itself
that is needed.  For example, the ability of the AT to automatically
reduce the volume of the auto playing video is critical for the ability of
the screen reader user using audio (not a braille display) to be able to
find and control the player volume controls.  There have been a couple of
papers presented by IBM  at CSUN regarding this problem of two
simultaneous audio inputs to the end users - the screen reader and video
trying to talk over each other at the same time - who trumps who?  Well,
it depends on when and what the end user wants to hear and so its the user
that needs to decide - not the web developer, not the player developer,
but the AT developer with support from the player and/or platform OS that
needs to provide that choice.  A very different problem than supporting a
keyboard only user, or just trying to increase the volume for a hard of
hearing user.  In my opinion the AT in this case has more of the
responsibility to solve the problem, often referred to as more usable and
feature rich AT.

Could you send URLs that we can test and compare ATs with to determine if
it is in fact your scrollable DIV and Carousels that are "fully WCAG
compliant" and therefore enabled so that an AT could do its job?
Regards,
Phill Jenkins,
Senior Accessibility Engineer
IBM Research - Human Ability & Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able
http://www.facebook.com/IBMAccessibility
http://twitter.com/IBMAccess
http://www.linkedin.com/in/philljenkins