RE: is javascript considered good wacg 2.0 practice? [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

This has been an interesting discussion and one that I feel was/is needed. But agree that it has gotten away from the initial topic/subject. Perhaps a new topic is needed?

I think there is still a lot of confusion that has possibly come from, as Adam has noted (well below), interpretations of conformance requirement 4 and the definitions of 'relied upon' & in particular 'accessibility supported'.

My interpretation of this is that what is 'accessibility support(ed)' should be determined by who we are designing for and what their circumstances. The conformance page of w3 says:

"The Working Group, therefore, limited itself to defining what constituted support and defers the judgment of how much, how many, or which AT must support a technology to the community and to entities closer to each situation that set requirements for an organization, purchase, community, etc."

Prior to this statement they acknowledge that "There is a need for an external and international dialogue on this topic" and provide 5 topics which could be explored.

I'm from a Government department developing solutions for the public as a whole & in some cases for disabled users in particular. Two sections of these 5 topics stand out to me.

From 'Topic 1':

"1. Accessibility support of Web technologies varies by environment
◦Content posted to the public Web may need to work with a broader range of user agents and assistive technologies, including older versions."

From 'Topic5':

"5. Currently assistive technology that is affordable by the general public is often very poor
◦Creating content that can't be used by the general public with disabilities should be avoided. In many cases, the cost of assistive technologies is too high for users who need it. Also, the capabilities of free or low cost AT is often so poor today that Web content cannot be realistically restricted to this lowest (or even middle) common denominator. This creates a very difficult dilemma that needs to be addressed."

With the above in mind and considering the lack of accurate information regarding what users are using (browsers/ATs/etc) and why they are using it and indeed their proficiency in using these tools, we can't in my mind rely on JavaScript availability.

I also for this reason would not rely on WAI-ARIA or PDF alone.

In a closed environment, or a site/service where use is opt-in I say go for broke.

We should be thinking about the user, after all it is why we're here, and as I said in my first reply to this discussion we should design for flexibility and inclusivity.

Leon