Re: is javascript considered good wacg 2.0 practice?

Karen:

Your election of preferred browser has nothing to do with accessibility,
because it has nothing to do with your disability (or at least you have
not explained why your disability forces you to use Lynx, e-Lynx or
whatever other browser. How is your disability limiting your options?
You have options that apparently you could use if you wanted to, but you
insist using text-based browsers for reasons that have nothing to do
with your disability.

That's fine, of course you have your right to decide what browser you
will use. But you are responsible of your election and you must accept
the consequences of that decision. A non-disabled person can also choose
to use Lynx (or e-Lynx or whatever). They are not "designed for the
blind". They are ust text-based browsers, anyone can use them. But the
non-disabled user will have exactly the same access problems that you
have. Having an "access problem" is not the same as "having an
accessibility problem".  It is the decision of the user what creates the
problem.

Again, if you choose to walk or use a bike, you must accept the
consequences of your decision, not blame the goverment for not building
highways with sidewalks and cycle lanes.

Steve has already pointed it out: the "nonscript" issue is not an
accessibility issue, because it does not affect differently to people
with disabilities than to people without them. It affects "users that
have no scripts", and particularly to "users of text-based browsers" (if
they have no script access), no matter if they are disabled or not. Point.

That is also the reason that the "switch-off" button analogy is still
valid. If you have the possibility to use scripts and voluntarily choose
to turn them off, you are responsible of your decision. If you turn your
computer off, you cannot blame others for not providing solutions to a
problem that only you generated. And, of course, this auto-generated
problem would affect equally disabled and non-disabled users that
disable scripts or that have them blocked for security reasons or whatever.

Nevertheless, if you insist on using a text-based browser, you can still
ask for better accessibility, but you should knock a different door: the
browser vendor's door. This is not something WCAG can address. If the
browsers you use are not able to read properly-developed JavaScript, it
is clear that they do not comply with UAAG, and therefore you can kindly
ask the browser vendor to add JS support and comply with UAAG. WCAG is
about content and, although it includes certain conditions related to
the availability of compliant user agents, it will never require the
content to be accessible in EVERY user agent.

Countless efforts have been made in the past years to put together the
developers' needs and the users' needs. It has been (and still is) a
hard work to convince developers that accessibility does not affect
design and innovation, and that they can create One Web that adapts to
all, instead of multiple adapted versions for every specific need.

We cannot and must not go back to those old days when accessibility was
seeing as the enemy. We must reinforce the idea of accessibility being
an ally. It is our "a11y", indeed (wink)

But, if you really want to hurt accessibility, tell developers that
non-JS versions are always mandatory. Tell them that they have to waste
their time programming server-based versions of everything that can be
easily done with JavaSript. Tell them that they have to limit their
imagination and innovation because you chose to use a text-based
browser. Taks an additional step and tell TV channels and radio stations
that they have to transcript every multimedia content because you need a
text version that you can read with Lynx.

And, if they spend their time creating new impressive (and accessible)
experiences for the majority of users, instead of making a collosal
effort to create almost-useless flat text versions for users that choose
to use text-based browsers, then blame them for not being respectful
with your right to voluntarily choose a non-UAAG-compliant browser.

Sure they will change their view of accessibility. But not in any good
direction.

Kind regards,
Ramón.