RE: is javascript considered good wacg 2.0 practice?

Ramón Corominas wrote:
> Karen wrote:
>
> > If a person cannot use some technology for physical reasons, they
> should
> > not be told to just get modern, and yes this can happen.
>
> Could you please provide an example in the context of this thread?

Yep. Seems to me that if you have the physical capacity to use Lynx or
e-links you have the ability to use Firefox as well. How is it different?
(Note, there is a difference between wanting to use a specific tool, and
needing to use a different tool, and as long as you have the capability to
use the other tool, you cannot claim as your defense that you don't *want*
to use that tool - access is a partnership between both parties, and both
parties need to be prepared to meet in the middle somewhere).

> > not allowing room on the highway even if a person wants to walk is
> like
> > not cleaning the sidewalk because a few people own handheld snow
> > blowers...which would shut down a walking city like New York.
>

> I love the transportation metaphore (thanks, John!).
>
> Highways have room for people to walk only in case of emergency, but
> you
> are not allowed to walk in a normal situation. Bikes or horses are not
> allowed to enter a highway. If you want to use the highway, there are
> free modern cars available that you can use. You cannot complain
> because
> you decide to only use a bicycle.

Exactly my point Ramón, and further, that restriction to riding a bike or
horse on the freeway applies to everyone, not just people with disabilities.
It is an equal access restriction that applies to all. Ditto the need for a
JavaScript compliant browser - the website is not discriminating based upon
a specific disability, but rather on the end users choice of technology. To
date we have exactly zero evidence that anyone is unable to use a
JS-compliant browser, only that at least one user wants to use their
preferred browser, which happens to not support JavaScript.

JF