Re: Skip links and keyboard navigation

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:28:40 +0100, Vivienne CONWAY <v.conway@ecu.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi all
>I thought I'd pass this issue past the experts in this group for your
> opinion.
>This issue involves skip links that do not appear with keyboard
> activation - in other words dont' show focus either all the time or with
> keyboard focus.
>Obviously if they are there and hidden, the screen reader user still
> hears them, but the keyboard only user does not receive that benefit and
> has to tab throughout >the whole page to get to the main content.
>
> G202: Ensuring keyboard control for all functionality which covers 2.1.1
> and 2.1.3 says “The objective of this technique is to provide keyboard
> operation for all the >functionality (defined as processes and outcomes
> achievable through user action) of the page.”  In this case (when the
> keyboarder can’t access the skip links), it >would appear they can’t
> have keyboard operation for all the functionality of the page.  What
> keyboarders can’t do is to access the skip links, which really benefits
> >a keyboard only user as they can’t skip the multitude of navigational
> links.
>
> Would you agree that this fails 2.1.1 when the keyboard operation
> doesn’t activate the skip links, which means that it should also fail
> 2.1.3?

As I read it, if the user can't get focus with the keyboard for the "skip
link" link unless they have a screen reader, and that is the mechanism
provided, then the functionality is not available, and so it fails 2.1.1 -
and since the failure is not related to particular timing, it also fails
2.1.3.

Earlier this year we had a discussion on this list about using structure
instead of "skip links" links to meet the underlying requirement, and for
a look to the future see discussions on the main element, navigation using
aria landmarks, etc.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#keyboard-operation-keyboard-operable

cheers

Chaals