Re: Links and target frames

Judy Gregg wrote:

> originally were on a webpage. For example, they are browsing a webpage
> and there is a link to a document, they select the document and it
> replaces the webpage they were on.  There is not an option to go back to
> the original webpage they were on and the back button does not take them
> back to the original webpage.

If the back button doesn't get them back to the page, the original page
has used scripting to do something inaccessible, and you need to address
that page.  More generally, you need to look at the specific reasons why
returning goes wrong, rather than assume that it may go wrong in some
unpredictable way.

The two cases I can think of where one may get problems are:

- POST results that have expired;

- on some browsers, a form that has been partially completed.  IE 8
seems to have this problem.  Firefox appears not to.

For POST, one should redirect to GET, if at all possible.  If one can't
do that, one should set caching meta-data for the page so that the
browser isn't forced to refetch it until the contents really are stale,
or it is so old that it has dropped out of the browser's cache.

> If the document they were selecting opened in a new window, they would
> be able to close or minimize the document and still be able to go back
> to the original webpage they were viewing.

Only once they found it.  Incidentally, the real reason people do this
is to try to keep you on their page, so maximising the advertising
potential.

--
David Woolley