From: Foliot, John [mailto:john.foliot@chase.com]
Sent: Friday, 9 November 2012 8:04 AM
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick; Roger Hudson; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: changing presentation of links

Hi Andrew,

I think where I was having concerns is where you suggest that the ‘discoverability’ of links could be achieved:

               “…by being able to tab to them, or by the cursor changing appearance…”

…whereas I am saying that they should be visibly discoverable without any user/page interaction (obviously screen readers will announce links when they are encountered, whether the user is tabbing or arrowing though the page). Again, for me, links that are in menus are visibly discoverable as the ‘menu paradigm’ is a learned user-interaction: pretty much everyone understands that a menu is a collection of links to other places/pages, so the need for additional link-indication is not too high. (Menus that start being art-for-art’s-sake may be an exception here <grin>)

If I misunderstood what you were saying then sorry.

JF