Re: Access Keys as a means to passing 2.4.1 Bypass Blocks

Interesting re headings, but skip links can be used to move to as well as to skip.  That's why I don't like "skip links"

In the goold days, we used links with a # at the end to move to different points on a page and they were all in a group so you could go to any point on a page.  We didn't call them skip anything.

On Oct 16, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Vivienne CONWAY <v.conway@ecu.edu.au> wrote:

For the heading navigation, I'm thinking more of the keyboard user who would not be able to navigate by headings and would only be helped by the skip links in order to skip repeated sections of text

Regards

Vivienne L. Conway, B.IT(Hons), MACS CT, AALIA(cs)
PhD Candidate & Sessional Lecturer, Edith Cowan University, Perth, W.A.
Director, Web Key IT Pty Ltd.
v.conway@ecu.edu.au
v.conway@webkeyit.com
Mob: 0415 383 673

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by return email or telephone and destroy the original message.
From: David Hilbert Poehlman [poehlman1@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, 16 October 2012 7:51 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Access Keys as a means to passing 2.4.1 Bypass Blocks

It's not that difficult to use headings.  a small bit of exploration may be required by the user in some cases but most assistives have the functionality built in to use headings to rapidly go through and two areas on the page.

I'd use access keys to launch another site or do something that tabbing and hitting space bar or enter cannot do.  You also need to make sure the user doesn't have to read the description more than once unless they want to.

I find that when access keys are used, they are often very well-hidden and only people 'in the know' realize they are even there.  As you said, normally they are described in a separate page/link.  Putting the link to the description and purpose of the keys is often more cluttered than just using well-placed skip links.  At least with skip links most people know how to use them and their purpose is clear.  If only we could get people to have them always visible - yes, I know it clutters the top.  However I have seen it done very successfully so I just think we need to be more open to having the accessibility features visible - demonstrates our desire to make things easier for people.

By the way, I'm still not sure why headings satisfy this criterion.  If you rely on the heading, it then requires subjective analysis to determine if the headings are sufficient to enable people to satisfactorily skip the repeated content.The headings only help screen reader users, not people who rely on tab control or have low vision.