Re: Opening new windows/pop-ups without warning

From: Devarshi Pant <devarshipant@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:01:50 -0400
To: v.conway@ecu.edu.au
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>> 3.2.2. does not really apply as clicking on the link activates the control and doesn't necessarily change the setting of that control.
** You are correct. The note (1) under the intent for SC 3.2.2 reads
‘This Success Criterion covers changes in context due to changing the
setting of a control. Clicking on links or tabs in a tab control is
activating the control, not changing the setting of that control.’ So,
3.2.2 would not apply here.
>> 3.2.5 says that if you want to have the web page open a new window you should use the target attribute and provide a warning …However if a user clicks on a link and it opens a new window (without a warning), which of these guidelines (if any) would it fail?
** I think it fails SC 3.2.5 (Change on Request). The note (2) under
the intent for SC 3.2.5 reads, ‘Note: Clicking on a link is an example
of an action that is "initiated only by user request."’

(1): http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-unpredictable-change.html
(2): http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/consistent-behavior-no-extreme-changes-context.html

-Devarshi