Re: Recursive Links in menu bars - continued

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:21:11 +0100
To: Jan Eric Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Jan Eric Hellbusch <hellbusch@2bweb.de> wrote:
> When a link in a menu bar is deactivated, because the link would otherwise
> point to the current page, do any users feel the page is broken or
> semantically defect?
>
> Considerations:
>
> * the menu is on a static page
> * See also Example #3 on http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G128.html
> * text (i.e. "current page") is additionally being added to the menu item
> * the menu items are designed to highlight current items (also in contrast
> mode)

Assuming you mean markup like:

    <nav>
      <strong title="current page">Here</strong>
    </nav>

Adding text to the deactivated menu item as a @title might actually
reduce accessibility a little. The tooltip is likely to clutter up
visual interactivity while being unlikely to be presented by
screenreaders in the normal flow.

Otherwise I think that's neither "broken" nor "semantically defective".

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis