Re: Color contrast between semi-transparent colors

Lea Verou wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2012, at 14:48, Marc Haunschild wrote:
>
>> Hi Lea,
>>
>> now I got it, I guess - its about how to calculate it, to change the semitransparent layer automatically to produce a satisfying contrast ratio?
> Kind of. Think of it this way:
> - We know the text color
> - We know the (semi-transparent) background color
> - We DON’T know what's going to be under that.

I think you are missing a factor here.  The standard colour contrast
rules assume a background with no high spatial frequencies.  If you
overlay on an image, without using alpha 1 for both the text and a halo,
any high spatial frequencies in the image will make it more difficult to
read the text, so you need a higher minimum contrast.

--
David Woolley