Re: Color contrast of text on variable color background

I see this as a possible success criteria for User Agent Accessibility
Guidelines - next version.
The question is can/will browsers implement a feature to control the
transparency of gif, jpg, png (are the ones that come to mind). While
at the same time they have no control over flash or shockwave images.
I have no idea if browsers can control the images that are background
coming from css, or images called from javascript, or something
created in canvas, or some new way we haven't thought of yet..
This gets complicated quickly for the browser. It is also confusing
for the user, when the transparency works sometimes depending on image
type, and how the author chose to get the image into the browser and
how the transparency was set in graphics tool, and etc.. The user
doesn't care how this transparent image appeared, or who did it in
what tool, or pick your problem...they just want to control the
transparency.

If you have more information or resources (people or documents) that
would help the User Agent Working Group craft a success criteria, they
would be much appreciated and used.

Jim Allan, co-Chair UAWG

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756