RE: Programmatic association of generic link text

[Patrick wrote]
> And worth noting that the text says "includes text that is...", meaning
> that it's not just limited to those elements/constructs listed. So I don't
> quite see a DIV being a clear failure, just because it's not mentioned in
> the example.

If the link and text were in the same DIV element and not separated by other
content - then yes it could be conformant.  However, if it was in an
adjacent DIV and there was no linkage with ARIA in my opinion it would not
conform because there would be no programmatic relationship that could
automatically be consistently determined .

There are certainly limitations on this approach - for example, having the
link and text in the same body tag would not conform.

Jonathan