From: Bryan Garaventa [mailto:bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2012 12:32 PM
To: Marc Haunschild; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org; WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: improved select boxes - still accessible

I agree, this is somewhat confusing. I'm including the W3C and WebAim list
on this because I think this is an important issue to bring up to the
community.

Here is the tag structure for each of the select items in the sample you
referenced:

<LI class="select2-results-dept-1 select2-result select2-result-selectable
select2-highlighted" jQuery17108271382708004837="227"><DIV
class=select2-result-label><SPAN
class=select2-match></SPAN>Hawaii</DIV></LI>

The only thing that is happening when the arrow keys are used to navigate
the select options, is that the class 'highlighted' is being toggled.
Nothing else is occurring.

The only way to make a control such as this keyboard accessible, is to use
tabindex=0 on each div tag when it's selected, and to either remove tabindex
or set it to '-1' for every div that is not currently highlighted, then set
focus to each such div programmatically using the .focus() method every time
the arrow keys are pressed.

Only then will the addition of ARIA actually work correctly. CSS cannot be
used for this purpose.

Google has also done something similar at
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!overview

Where, after logging in with your Google account login, you will find 6 ARIA
tree controls in the heading navigation.

If you press Insert+F5 using JAWS, you can see them listed there in the Form
Field list dialog.

All of these controls include ARIA to make them accessible, and every single
one of them is completely inaccessible for screen reader users, because none
of them are keyboard accessible.

This is why I've been saying that these concepts are critical for developers
to understand.

Otherwise, such inaccessible controls will continue to be propagated across
the web with the assumption that ARIA will make them accessible, even when
it won't.