Re: Quick Poll for JAWs users: Verbosity and Punctuation settings.

The question is, "should it be mandated from an editorial perspective that
all off-screen text MUST be placed in parenthesis?"

I too say No ... one simply does not use parenthesis for the heck of it.
For instance if the link was
<a ...>Read more<span class="offscreen">about closing ceremony London
Olympics 2012</span></a>
then one does not need parenthesis.
Simply picture the complete text on the screen or a printed page. If
it is appropriate to use a hyphen or parenthesis for separation, then
do so.
It does not matter if the user is sighted / blind / uses AT with
reading options configured to suit his style.
Sailesh