Re: Limit on the links in a page

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:50:48 +0100
To: Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com>
Cc: W3C WAI ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>, Vivienne CONWAY <v.conway@ecu.edu.au>
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com> wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2012, at 11:27, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

>>> Indeed!
>>
>> Seems weird. Takes practically no time for VoiceOver to compose a list
>> of 2000 links.
>
> Handling 2000 data items in memory is not expensive but putting 2000 items into a list control in a dialog window can be very expensive (in terms of computing resources/time).

I can't see any fundamental reason why this should take a long time.

VoiceOver doesn't just handle them in memory, it displays them in the
Item Chooser list. Pretty much instantly.

https://www.apple.com/voiceover/info/guide/_1133.html#mchlp2724

Likewise Opera surfaces 2000 links in its Links list pretty much instantly.

If this is a problem in JAWS, that represents fundamental inefficiency
either in its communication with browsers (assembling the list) or its
widget set (rendering the list).

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis