Re: Limit on the links in a page

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:50:48 +0100
To: Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com>
Cc: W3C WAI ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, Adam Cooper <cooperad@bigpond.com>, Vivienne CONWAY <v.conway@ecu.edu.au>
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Olaf Drümmer <olaf@druemmer.com> wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2012, at 11:27, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>>> Indeed!
>> Seems weird. Takes practically no time for VoiceOver to compose a list
>> of 2000 links.
> Handling 2000 data items in memory is not expensive but putting 2000 items into a list control in a dialog window can be very expensive (in terms of computing resources/time).

I can't see any fundamental reason why this should take a long time.

VoiceOver doesn't just handle them in memory, it displays them in the
Item Chooser list. Pretty much instantly.

Likewise Opera surfaces 2000 links in its Links list pretty much instantly.

If this is a problem in JAWS, that represents fundamental inefficiency
either in its communication with browsers (assembling the list) or its
widget set (rendering the list).

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis