Re: Officially suggested keyboard interaction for sub-menu items in the "navigation"?

From: Ian Yang <ian@invigoreight.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 14:59:44 +0800
To: Ramón Corominas <listas@ramoncorominas.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Ramón Corominas

> Hi, Ian and all.
> Firstly, I don't understand the intensive use of role="presentation" in
> your code. According to the definition of this role:
> "An element whose implicit native role semantics will not be mapped to the
> accessibility API.
> The intended use is when an element is used to change the look of the page
> but does not have all the functional, interactive, or structural relevance
> implied by the element type, or may be used to provide for an accessible
> fallback in older browsers that do not support WAI-ARIA."
> Secondly, in this particular case I think the problem is that the main
> "about" option should not perform any action other than opening the
> submenu. Do you really need the "about.html" page? Aren't you covering all
> this "about" information in the other pages? Wouldn't it be better to have
> a single page with anchors? If you do need this "main option" maybe you can
> include a "main" submenu option (with an adequate name).
> Regards,
> Ramón.

Hi Ramón,

The use of the role "presentation" in the code is borrowed from the jQuery
plug-in <http://view.jqueryui.com/menubar/demos/menubar/default.html>. I
guess its purpose is to prevent assistive technologies from thinking those
<li>s are regular list items.

Sorry for not making a clear example. The "About" and its sub-menu are just
to show a menu item and its submenu. In real life
usually the submenu couldn't be omitted or the "main option" couldn't be
included in the submenu.

Ian Yang