RE: Isn't the word "banner" too presentational and none-semantic?

From: Joe Chidzik <joe.chidzik@abilitynet.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 05:05:39 -0500
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
<snip>
>Comparing with the role "contentinfo" which is meaningfully named, why was the inventor wanted to name the site header "banner" instead of a more meaningful name like "contenthead" or "masthead"?

[Joe Chidzik]
>From Merriam-Webster, I get the following two definitions of banner which seem relevant:
2: a headline in large type running across a newspaper page
3: a strip of cloth on which a sign is painted <welcome banners stretched across the street>
(Ref: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/banner)

The banner is the entrance to the website\page which you typically read before any other content.

Cheers
Joe