Re: Aging Eye Reader's Gripe of the Day

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 10:14:40 +0100
To: Russ Weakley <russ@maxdesign.com.au>
CC: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Russ Weakley wrote:

> You mention word-wrap being a potential solution. This is a CSS Text
> Level 3 property. It is not designed to control ideal line length for
> reading. It's purpose:

I don't think word wrap was being used in such a technical sense.  I
think it was being used in a 1980s sense, simply to mean inserting
newlines between words to limit the line length.

The problem with his problem site is that the table layout has imposed a
minimum width which means that you cannot zoom the page without text
going outside the window.

Such layouts often make pages unprintable.

David Woolley