Re: activating behaviours

From: Ramón Corominas <listas@ramoncorominas.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:12:01 +0200
To: Harry Loots <harry.loots@ieee.org>
CC: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Chaals McCathieNevile <w3b@chaals.com>, Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com>, Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo <coordina@sidar.org>, WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I understand that issues might exist when adding keyboard events if the
different OS's or browsers have different default behaviours. However, I
wonder how would you expect to manage keyboard interaction without
attaching keyboard events to the custom controls (unless you pretend
that developers don't use custom controls at all, which obviously will
not occur).

If you see the radiogroup example in my presentation, space bar is not
the only key being considered. Indeed, I've noticed that in some
browsers it works directly, even if I don't include an event handler for
the space bar.

But I cannot figure out a way to achieve the final result without
programming keyboard events for the arrow keys. In a radio-group only
the group itself is focusable, not each individual radio-button.
Individual radio-buttons are accesed using the arrow keys. So, how would
you manage to control focus without keyboard events?

I guess that Indie UI will solve this problems in the future, but it
will take a long time to reach that point.

Cheers,
Ramón.