Re: Removing PDFs and accessibility

By mistake I only sent to you - I share the thread thoughts on the list.

On 29 Mar 2012, at 22:45, Ramón Corominas wrote:

> Yes, I think it is something that User Agents should and can solve,
> but we as content providers know that there are no UA on Mac that
> can read PDFs in an accessible way, so we cannot rely on PDF-only
> solutions.
>
> Of course we, at the same time, should ask vendors to create User
> Agents that can read this -or other- content in an accessible way,
> but until they do their job we should rely only on solutions that
> have been tested and proven to work. That is the aim of the whole
> "accessibility suopported" concept, I think.
>
> Cheers,
> Ramón.

Jorge wrote:

And the problem is of the PDF document don't comply with WCAG?! Or is
a problem of VoiceOver don't comply with UAAG?! We, users, need to ask
to the designers that follow the WCAG to do something else or we need
to ask to the User Agent manufacturers to do their part of the match?

Cheers,
Jorge Fernandes

On 29 Mar 2012, at 15:58, Ramón Corominas wrote:
Hi all,

Andrew Kirkpatrick said:

 > VoiceOver with PDF documents on the Mac is not as good as
 > the Windows options but the document content can be read
 > and used.

 > Indeed, it is not good at all. I do not even consider PDF to be
"accessibility supported" on Mac. As far as I know there is no reader
for Mac that can
 > access headings, tables, lists, or any other semantic tagging, nor
text alternatives for images or form controls; using VoiceOver it is
not posslbe to
 > activate links or fill in forms within a PDF.

 > In practice, VoiceOver cannot read mucho more than the document's
text, so I would say that a PDF document is not more accessible on Mac
than a plain text file.