Lightbox dialogs and background page elements

From: Devarshi Pant <devarshipant@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:50:34 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hello All,
Can someone point me to a lightbox dialog that is accessible with a
screen reader. I am also looking for a magnifier / voice recognition
friendly dialog, especially meeting the requirement, “Assistive
technologies should not pick up background page elements.”
Other requirements are:
1.	Keyboard focus should follow a logical tab order. That is, on
invoking the link that opens the lightbox, the first form field inside
the lightbox receives focus.
2.	Keyboard focus should stay within the lightbox.
3.	Close feature (x) should receive focus and work with the enter /
spacebar key. Focus subsequently goes back to the link that opens the
lightbox.
There could be deviations on how a team implements 1, 2, and 3 above
but the basic idea is to provide comparable access – the visible
lightbox seen by a sighted user when the background is dimmed should
be similarly experienced by A T users.
The dialog (click the create new user button) in
http://jqueryui.com/demos/dialog/#modal-form is similar to what I have
in mind. It is a fairly accessible dialog except that assistive
technologies pick up background elements.
I believe SCR37 in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20101014/SCR37 advises how
to correctly implement such dialogs, but I could not get the example
to work.
Thanks!
Devarshi