From: Russ Weakley [mailto:russ@maxdesign.com.au]
Sent: Wednesday, 14 March 2012 9:05 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question re self-referencing links

> Also unexperienced users might wonder, whether the link, that obviously does nothing, is broken or not.
>
> Not to link an entry in the menu at least can help you to make clear to the user, where he is. That is WCAG 2.0-relevant:
>
> Location: Understanding SC 2.4.8: http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/navigation-mechanisms-location.html

> Gentle enough? ;-)

Indeed. I'm feeling the love! <grin>

The link you provided led to this interesting bit of info:

G128: Indicating current location within navigation bars
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20120103/G128

Example 3 states:

"When the link is activated to change the contents of the page, the selected link within the navigation bar is disabled since the result of following this link is the Web page currently being displayed."

This seems to suggest that any link associated with the current page (whether it appears wrapped around the page heading, or it appears in the primary navigation) should ideally be removed (in the case of page headings where it is not needed at all) or disabled (in the case of navigation where you may still want the item to appear but not as a link), to avoid confusion and help users determine their location.

So, it appears to be an example technique only - rather an a "Success criteria"... which is a little "softer" than I had expected.  :)

Thanks all!
Russ

Finance Australian Business Number (ABN):   61 970 632 495
Finance Web Site:   www.finance.gov.au

IMPORTANT:

This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on 61-2-6215-2222 and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.
If responding to this email, please send to the appropriate person using the suffix .gov.au.