Re: Sign language video alternative

From: Terrill Bennett <list.w3c@spam-message.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:52:26 -0500
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

>>I have a short video where you just see a deaf person say something
>>in sign language.

Rhetorical question: Which sign language?

Practically every country in the world has a different sign language.
Within the United States, there are several used by the deaf (e.g.
American Sign Language vs Pigeon Signed English). Which leads us to...

>Providing captions won't help blind users

Captions probably won't help blind people. But assuming deaf people
wouldn't benefit from closed captions isn't a safe assumption.
Captions could be invaluable to deaf people trying to learn the sign
language being used in the video. For example, there are numerous
deaf people who grew-up using the local spoken language (e.g.
English), but who now wish to learn sign language (e.g. ASL).

-- Terrill --