De: Joshue O Connor CFIT [mailto:joshue.oconnor@ncbi.ie]
Enviado el: lunes, 20 de febrero de 2012 9:39
Para: listas@ramoncorominas.com
CC: Karen Lewellen; G F Mueden; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Asunto: Re: UPDATE suggested alternatives to accessible version

Ramón Corominas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> And why not simply "Other versions" or something similar?

What is very interesting (apart from this thread become a masala of
issues) is that each 'group' is picking a term that represents their
interest. So terms like 'elderly friendly' are good for the elderly, 'high
contrast' is good for people with low vision. People with cognitive or
sensory impairments may not even consider themselves to have an impairment,
or be aware of it so what is a suitable term their?
The WHO/ICF may come up with terms, the medical profession has terms but
they don't often translate well. Then we have the social mores and issues
such as political correctness to deal with.

While I agree that most people don't know what the term 'accessible' is or
means or relates to unless you to some degree aware of disability (it may be
the best of a bad bunch - at least currently),  I still want to reiterate my
earlier point. We as a community should forget about coming up with another
'term' even if it hits 80% of use cases and concentrate on helping
developers/designers build stuff that just works.

Cheers

Josh

Follow us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ncbiworkingforpeoplewithsightloss
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ncbi_sightloss

Check-out NCBI's Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh appeal on the following link.
http://youtu.be/25P2tiuCi0U

National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) is a company limited by
guarantee (registered in Ireland No. 26293) .
Our registered office is at Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9.
NCBI is also a registered Charity (chy4626).

confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient
you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or
of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of
your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from
your system.

NCBI endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its
staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot
accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.  We therefore
recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any
attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the
views of NCBI