Re: Hiding Headings

Hi Vivian,

In 2006 Roger Hudson and I did a range of testing with blind users.
<http://www.usability.com.au/resources/source-order.cfm>

We noticed that screen-reader and refreshable braille device users found the different content areas of the page hard to define and sometimes confusing - content that was not confusing for sighted uses. However, when descriptive headings were added to the page the purpose of each area ofd the page become much clearer for these users.

We decided to call these headings “structural labels”, though others may have been using the technique well before this time.

"The inclusion of structural labels seems to be an effective and relatively simple solution to the significant problem some screen reader users have in identifying the different elements on a page."

Of course, that was before WAI-ARIA landmark roles - which allow us to describe chunks of content without having to resort to "work arounds" like hidden headings. I'd say the use of hidden headings to aid AT's is out of date and unnecessary now... but I'd love to hear other opinions too!

2cents
Russ