Re: [NVDA] #2390: NVDA doesn't handle role=dialog with supporting ARIA attributes according to spec

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 21:08:12 -0700
Cc: James Nurthen <james@nurthen.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@whatsock.com>
On May 30, 2012, at 3:05 PM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:

> This is my latest comment to the NVDA dev team:
>
> "Just to clarify one thing about role=presentation, I'm not saying that the node with role=presentation should be removed from the user agent, such as in the Virtual Buffer, but that role=presentation should simply prevent that roped off content from being queried as part of a description calculation."
>
> This is what the W3C user agent spec says role=presentation is supposed to do.

Where does it say this? I think you might be confusing one of two sections:

The text alternative computation [1] says presentational elements shouldn't have their host-language labeling mechanism exposed, but that does not include the descendant nodes of the presentational element. Read the long description in the presentation role definition [2] if this is unclear.

The other section you might be referring to is the childrenArePresentational property [3] of roles. This is defined on a per-role basis, and does behave as you describe, but it's not the same as role="presentation" as your text implies.

1. http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/complete#textalternativecomputation
2. http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/complete#presentation
3. http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/complete#childrenArePresentational