Re: Using Heading to Replace Skip Links

If I may but in here...

There is nothing that says that any single technique should enable you to
completely meet a particular success criteria. For any particular problem
you need to select one or more techniques that together meet your need. This
approach gives the designer the flexibility to meet the widest possible
range of situations.

So for skipping repeated elements such as navigation lists the technique of
correct semantic code (headings) helps blind users whilst the "skip to
content" technique helps sighted keyboard users. One does not replace the
other. The semantic technique works for blind users because we typically
list the headings as soon as the page opens. we only list the links if the
content, as described by the headings, does not interest us. Sighted
keyboard users can see the headings but cannot get to them directly because
most browsers do not have the function to list headings so they have to tab
through the navigation links to get to any links in the content, unless you
provide the skip function. If you want to be able to use semantic code for
page navigation by everybody (including sighted users) then you need to talk
to all the web-browser manufacturers and persuade them ALL to add the
facility and the necessary extra buttons to their current and legacy
browsers - Good luck!

Don't forget that the use of the semantic technique does more than just help
a user to get to the content, it also gives us an overview of the page and
gives us the option to go to just a particular sections. It also helps
programmes such as search robots and data analysis to catalogue page content
more accurately. Skipping repetitive content, sample code, ascii art etc.
saves effort for the sighted keyboard user but does not add value to the
content, so the two techniques have different purposes and cannot be
combined (even though they can, in the context of skipping navigation bars,
perform similar functions).

In the meantime please use the *selection* of relevant techniques that are
required to enable all users to have a positive and constructive experience
when visiting your sites.

Kind Regards
Richard