From: rhudson@usability.com.au
To: spencer_phil@hotmail.com; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: H65: Using the title attribute to identify form controls when the  label element cannot be used
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 20:52:41 +1000

Hi Phil, If I might make a couple of comments regarding your question. But, first I would like to make it clear that I support the use of the title attribute in appropriate circumstances. First, H65 doesn’t suggests the title attribute can be used for whatever reason. Rather, it states it can be used “when the visual design cannot accommodate the label” and provides two examples, which in my opinion are the most likely cases where this could apply; search inputs and inputs for the different components of phone numbers. Also, H65 suggests the title attribute should be used with the form control, which does not appear to be the case with your example. Second, I would be cautious about considering a technique to be acceptable based on testing with just a few browsers and assistive devices. In this regard, I would suggest following the WCAG 2 Sufficient Techniques which I understand have been rigorously before being accepted. At this stage, the technique you propose does not appear to be considered a Sufficient Technique within WCAG 2. I would be interested to know how this technique works with older versions of JAWS as well as a range of other screen reader-browser combinations before considering it accessible. Regards, Roger   From: Phil Spencer [mailto:spencer_phil@hotmail.com]