Re: Creating custom landmarks

From: Devarshi Pant <devarshipant@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 15:06:37 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
HI -- I believe you only have a set of pre-defined roles to play with,
and these are especially helpful when you have a design that agrees
with the design these roles were supposed to work with. I see your
point though  as an example consider a complex website with three
distinct navigation menus with a make believe roles list of Banner,
Main, Navigation Sales, Navigation Engineering, Navigation
Advertising, Content Info, etc.
Roles may help some screen reader users, but again, if you have a well
thought out heading structure, landmark roles may not be necessary, as
a proper heading structure helps everyone. When you say your site is
long and complex, does it have headers before *complicated sections*?

Thanks,
Devarshi