Re: Example of accessible CAPTCHAS that work well

From: Cliff Tyllick <cliff.tyllick@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 00:03:30 -0800 (PST)
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
About honeypots, Phill Jenkins wrote:

Seems to me this would fail with screen
readers, magnifiers, and keyboard users if the key board navigation still
gets to the so-called hidden field.  I suppose one could add a negative
tab-index to remove it from the navigation sequence, but I would like to
test one out before recommending this alternative technique.

Phill, I'd take a much simpler approach. I'd label the field, "If you are not a bot, leave this field blank:"

I'd still hide the field and its label from as many people as I could, but anyone who does encounter it should know what to do.

Others have pointed out that extremely-high-volume sites are under such persistent scrutiny that the honeypot, however designed, would soon be overcome. I would think that for most sites this approach would be worth trying. If it doesn't work, try something else—but by all means, try not to burden your customer with your problems.

Cliff Tyllick