placeholder text in input controls

From: Bart Simons <bart.simons@anysurfer.be>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 14:23:09 +0100
To: "W3C WAI ig" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Dear all,

In order to make text input fields accessible we traditionally dvise to use
the label element to link the control with its visible label.

Now some sites start to use placeholder text instead of visible labels next
to the control. I don't see this technique in WCAG2.0. Do you consider this
sufficient to comply with success criterium 3.3.2 labels or instructions?

Example:
<input title="What is your first name?" type="text" name="f"
placeholder="First name">
<input title="What is your last name?" type="text" name="l"
placeholder="Last name">

The placeholder text is visible in the control and disappears when the field
receives focus. Keyboard users see the text until they actually need it.
Title attributes are not displayed on keyboard focus, only on mouse over.

JAWS11 reads the title and not the placeholder attribute.

Please advise whether the above example is ok or not.

Thanks

Bart Simons
--
AnySurfer - Quality mark for accessible websites in Belgium
http://www.anysurfer.be