RE: Using tab stop on important text

If I could perhaps re-state the original problem to make sure I understand
it correctly...

I think the requirement is to provide a mechanism for users of screen
readers in particular, to ensure they hear a chunk of explanatory text which
is associated to a number of related fields.

>From the original post...

While I appreciate that putting any important information prior to the start
of the form on the page is best for accessibility this is not always
possible.

Firstly, I would challenge this belief as there are many ways of placing
text at any point in a document which would only be read by screen readers -
positioning a zero height div containing the text offscreen for one.  This
could provide the most effective solution in this situation. Obviously if
the text is repeated for other users at some other point there will be
repeatition but at least the information has been conveyed at a sensible
point in the page flow, which it sounds like it may not be otherwise.
Indeed, it would be interesting to know where this text would be placed in
any case.

Secondly, again from the original email:

Also while I would like to be implementing fieldsets and the function of the
legend to highlight these initial instructions I'm conscious that:

1. In some screenreader browser combinations the legend isn't read at all.

2. Some of these instructions are quite long and perhaps unsuitable for use
in a legend, especially where the legend may be read out before each label.

I'm not sure which browser / screen reader combination doesn't read legends
but accepting that this is true, I don't believe that just because Legends
may not be read at all in certain combinations of browser / screen reader is
a reason not to do this. Yes we need to take these type of problems into
consideration when looking at how best to address a particular problem, but
this sounds more like a bug than an accessibility issue to me.

The same comment applies to the legend being read aloud before each label
within the fieldset. I'm not as familiar with the UAAG and ATAG as I'm sure
others on the list will be, but this doesn't sound right to me. Maybe
somebody could clarify what the correct behaviour should be regarding
legends.

I'm also not sure that using ARIA describedby would actually help here
because you'd need to associate the chunk of text with every field which
would be read out when the user tabbed to each field by a screen reader
(when supported).

In short, I think before we try and invent some new technique to address
this problem we should establish first that the existing guidelines and
techniques are not sufficient. In this situation though, I don't think this
is the case and the current guidelines and techniques do provide a perfectly
good solution. At least based on my understanding of the purpose of legend
and fieldsets and how they should be implemented anyway.

Cheers

Ian

  _____