Re: Null alt tags for decorative images - Technique H67

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 21:57:05 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On 02/11/2011 21:14, Userite wrote:
> I am having real problems with a client who insist that certain images
> are decorative and can therefore be given a null alt tag as per H67. I
> can accept that a squiggly line or fancy text box border is decorative,
> but not a largish picture of a building (no particular building, just a
> museum type facade).

So what's the purpose of the image? To just look pretty and add some
visual interest? In that case, I'd say an empty alt *attribute* is fair
enough (others will argue against it, but that's what you get) as long
as the text also reflects the same "tone" that the image is trying to
convey.

> I really think that it is time to remove H67 as a technique, either a
> non-text item such as an image should have a text equivalent, or it
> should not be imported by HTML but be treated as styling and imported
> via CSS so that it is totally ignored by screen readers etc. This way
> there is no need for subjective discussions.

All you'd get then is designers and developers avoiding any and all
accessibility discussion by simply making ALL their images CSS-based and
only having lots of empty divs and spans in their page where they then
insert images via stylesheet...

Patrick H. Lauke