How Should title and label be handled when used together?

From: Homme, James <james.homme@highmark.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:48:49 -0400
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi,
As I was changing a form to make it accessible, I noticed the following:

* If I put a label tag around a piece of text, use the for attribute, and add the i d attribute to the input tag, JAWS speaks the field label text in my label tag.

* If I also add the title attribute, with different text, in the input tag, JAWS speaks my title attribute, and ignores my field label text.

I have no other screen reader to compare this with to see if it renders differently. I thought that a screen reader should handle the two pieces of text separately. Am I off base with my thinking?

Thanks.

Jim

This e-mail and any attachments to it are confidential and are intended solely for use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission.  The views expressed in this e-mail message do not necessarily represent the views of Highmark Inc., its subsidiaries, or affiliates.